Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I Flunked My Driver's Test Five Times Today

I picked Dad up at 10 am and headed to Kittanning nice and early.  This would give me plenty of time to drive around that area and familiarize myself with the roads there, before the exam at 11 am.

Dad played the role of the Examiner. He's tough, I tell ya. I failed like, FIVE times! 'Flunk' is now my new dreaded 'F' word.


Each F episode would go something like this:

[Grace pulls up and stops at the traffic light. She overshoots a bit and stops closer to the white line than intended]

Dad: You'd flunk right there.

Grace: Oh?

Dad:  You need to stop way before the line - you can't stop on it.

[Dad opens the door to get a closer look at the line to gauge the extent of Grace's failure]

Dad: Okay well, maybe not. Your tire is not on the line, but your bumper is over it. He'd [the examiner] would probably flunk you.

Grace:  Oh okay. I'll be more careful about that.

......

Here's what I also flunked on:
  1. Going into a bend off the highway, at 40 mph (suggested speed 20 mph). "I'd flunk you right there. I'd flunk you."
  2. Pulling out from a residential area onto a main road and getting up to 45 mph (to match the other cars), then seeing a 35 mph sign (and promptly slowing to 35 mph). "You just flunked. It's 35 mph."
  3. Coming to a full stop at an intersection, then inching out to see if it was a two- or four-way - it was a two-way - and stopping for the passing car. "You nearly killed me! That car could have hit me. You'd flunk!"
  4. Doing 35 mph past a yellow 25 mph sign. "It says 25 mph. You'd flunk that".
There were probably other violations, but my selective amnesia is kicking in pretty good at the moment and I can't remember them. 

Oh yeah, I wanted to practise parallel parking, so we drove around till we found a spot between two cars, for me to practise at :p . Not that I don't know how to parallel park - it's just that I'm better at parallel parking on the left side of the road having done that for most of my 18 years of driving in Malaysia. Dad said I aced it!

So around 10.50 am we parked at the DMV, gathered all my stuff (car registration, insurance, green card, learner's permit), and went to take the test. 

But. It was closed. 

I messed up. The test is on Wednesday. That's tomorrow. Sorry Dad!

I bought Dad lunch.

Will I pass tomorrow's test? Or will it be Epic Fail? Stay tuned!

xo Gracie

p.s. It would be GREAT if you clicked on any ad here - my sponsors give me a few cents per click. Thanks for supporting my blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment!