Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bridal Showers: What are they and What to do if invited to one

I'd never been to a bridal shower before and didn't really know much about it except that it was a 'Ladies Only' event held for a bride-to-be, and that the use of many rolls of toilet paper was a critical component of this hallowed rite of passage.

Now that I've actually attended one - and even helped organize some of it - I'm still not sure if I know what it's about! I was led to understand that this particular bridal shower was atypical of bridal showers because toilet-papering did not feature in any way, shape or form during the proceedings of this allegedly atypical (but in my opinion - still highly awesome) shower.

Now that the dust has settled nicely, I took the opportunity to google 'Bridal Shower' and here I proudly present to you the nuggets of internet wisdom that I gleaned:
  1. Origins of the Bridal Shower: Back in the day, if Pa was too poor (or too stingy) to give his daughter the dowry she needed to get married, her girlfriends would get together and chip in towards the dowry. 
  2. Therefore, the Purpose of a Shower is to make sure the Bride-to-be has enough to make the wedding happen for real. 
  3. Showers are supposed to be informal and spontaneous (unlike the wedding, which is a serious event requiring about a year of planning).
  4. Hold the shower about a month before the wedding.
  5. It's okay and normal to hold several showers (refer again to #2 above).
  6. Eligibility to organize a shower: Bridesmaids, maid of honor, close girlfriends or future Ma-in-law
  7. Ineligible to organize a shower: The Ma of the bride-to-be. A Big No No.
  8. Invitees: Just about anyone. No men though (with one exception, see #9 below). Said invitees MUST also be invited to the Wedding.
  9. The groom is the only man who can show up (with flowers) before his fiancee opens the gifts. This is so that the ladies can check him out.
  10. Must bring a gift! This can be conveniently picked out from her wedding gift registry (if she has one), or you can give a gift card. Anything. Just don't show up empty handed (like I nearly did!)
Curious about the important role toilet paper plays in bridal showers, I dug a little deeper and found out that many showers have games and contests, the most popular one being the 'Make a Wedding Dress out of Toilet Paper Contest'. 

Looks like we have a Winner! Photo credit: weddingdresses.com

This toilet paper wedding dress contest tradition has flourished to the extent that it's even held as a full on annual contest in some places, e.g. "Cheap Chic Wedding Contest" and "Cashmere Creations" in Canada.

Wow that's some TP dress! made entirely out of Cashmere brand toilet paper.
The grand prize:  A year's supply of toilet paper!

I kinda wish we had had a TP dress contest, cuz I know I coulda won it (see exhibit A below).

Exhibit A: Evidence of my artistic ability to create the gorgeous flapper style
frock that adorns this charming young model.

Have you attended any bridal showers? What was your experience like? Would love to hear from you!

xo Gracie

p.s. It would be GREAT if you could click on any ad here - my sponsors give me a few cents per click. Thanks for supporting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment!