Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Door-to-Door Salesmen in the USA: Unfair Advanage!

And so, I hang my head in shame, admitting that I bought a bottle of Advanage 20x Citrus Cleaner from a salesman that came knocking on my door today - a bottle that cost about five times what I would normally have paid for regular cleaner in Walmart.

I didn't stand a chance, really. Unlike in Malaysia, where the salesmen aren't trained in NLP (Natural Language Processing), US salesmen are it seems, highly trained in using NLP persuasion and influence techniques.

Apparently 'If you don't have the skills and knowledge (NLP), your interaction with the sales person is like the interaction between a primary school student and a special forces soldier intent on stealing the student's candy. You don't stand a chance' (comment by Anonymous on Jess Riley's account of her Advanage experience)

I didn't stand a chance. 

The young black gentlemen that came to my door was definitely a master at NLP persuasion. A guru, probably. He had a duffel bag full of bottles of wonder-cleaning product that he claimed could clean anything and yet was biodegradable and non-toxic. He marked up a white rag with a permanent marker and made me witness to the ink magically disappearing upon application of the Advanage wonder-cleaner dilution.

He even drank some of that stuff to show me how safe it was!

He had jokes, high-fives, and a feel-good story about how my purchase would help fund his final year in St Augustine College.

"You're helping a young fella like me, selling soap, not dope"

Those of you who know me, well, you know I'm a softie. I just am. At that point I was basically just trying to find a way to help the chap. I scrutinized the label on the bottle and the words 'non-toxic' and 'biodegradable' and 'no phosphates' meant I could actually use it.

I asked him how many he had sold today. He said 'Two', and told me that his goal for today is 20, and if he made 20, he would be on track to having his final year of college paid for.

"You're investing in me, in my future"

I asked him how many doors he had knocked on today. "23", he said. And he had only sold two? Yes, but the two were those who were home and who had opened the door. Oh. That's like, a 100% conversion rate. See, I told you he was some highly-trained NLP guru. (Watch Kenny Brook's sales pitch to get an idea of what I was up against).

I digress
My years in Malaysia have made me adept in avoiding salesmen.  I pretend I'm not home (if it's a door-to-door salesman). All houses have fences and gates to keep salesmen and other undesirables at bay. I pretend I didn't see the salesperson, or look away disinterestedly - I've had ample practice doing this, thanks to the crippled beggars found scraping along the roads in every pasar malam.

Here in the US, there are it seems, no fences or gates. The odd fence is usually just for decoration. Unfortunately, the lack of fences means I am defenseless against door-to-door salesmen.

This typical rural home has no fences. The three little picket fences are decorative and add to curb appeal.
Back to the story
I balked when he told me the cheapest thing he had was $39 for a bottle of that cleaner. He gets 8%, and 15% goes to St Augustine for his school tuition (employee matching of sorts I guess) and the rest goes to the company. I told him I would rather just give him a $10!

Well, I don't need to tell you what the ending was.

$40. It works great. 

David Anderton, your friendly travelling Advanage salesman

xo Gracie

p.s. It would be GREAT if you could click on any ad here - my sponsors give me a few cents per click.   Thanks for supporting my blog! And DAVE ANDERTON if you are reading this, you had better click on an ad!

18 comments:

  1. Don't fret too much Grace! You did a good thing (at least that's what I'm telling myself). "Tommy" pitched the same deal to me (he was actually an inspiring running back) and I caved in for one of each flavor. I am usually very good at fending off the door to doors (preach US economics and they'll beg you to let them leave), but my guy had a comeback for every anecdote. I just had to let him run with it, and I was impressed with the many clean spots he created all around my home. Bottom line: if I'm not mistaken, you can get each bottle on ebay for $40, so by my calculations I paid 27 bucks for the show (Tax included) and I think he earned it.

    Jeff, AKA - Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thanks for your comment! You certainly got your money's worth with the free house cleaning plus free entertainment haha. I'm still using the Advanage and it works pretty good. Every time I get it out I remember the awesome Advanage salesman and wonder if he got through his final year college :)

      Delete
  2. It's a complete scam. The guy that came to my door today, insulted me, called me racist for not buying his product and flat out lied and said my neighbor just bought two from him. He yelled at me for not supporting him and all because I asked for a pamphlet to buy at a later date. I told him, I can relate to him, I am also a struggling college student, single mom, and very, very low income. He told me he didn't want to hear it and that it's white people like me (I'm not even white, I'm biracial, and bi-cultural) that keep him and his people down and have been all throughout history. I experienced judgement, racist, prejudice and discriminating comments from this guy named "Aaron". Your lucky to have had a better experience than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Crystal, that's horrible! This 'Aaron' dude sounds like a psycho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got suckered into one of each of the 4 flavors, too! My worry is seeing on searching that some people have had the salesmen scoping their houses..? This one kept commenting how nice of a home I had! A little worried since my husband's on nights tonight and tomorrow night! I do have 4 dogs but they are small...with big barks! I did not let him in..! So Grace you're not alone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Bo, your Advanage salesperson sounds dodgy indeed! Glad you have your four dogs keeping you safe at home!!

      Delete
  5. Yes..I felt safe with all 4 of them here. I don't think they were doing anything wrong but I did see today that people were talking about it yesterday! The product does do a good job and my husband wasn't mad at me when I told him what I did and I bought one of each of the 4. He never asked what I paid but I did tell him it was about $5 more than if I got on Amazon. It's too bad people use the product to scope house out to break in. I doubt they'd be able to do much here in this small town of 2,200 where everyone watches out for their neighbor! I have a police car parked across the street where she lives and the police station is 2 blocks away. One of the dispatchers live on the other end of my block. So with all..I'm pretty safe! What found bazaar is that looking at the sales pitches others experience..this one did exactly the same pitch..lol Have a good weekend Grace! ❤️😀❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes it's funny and strange that they all have the same sales pitch- probably go to Advanage School for that or something! Have a great weekend yourself!

      Delete
  6. Meaning the 4 dogs..lol 😜

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased this product 2 summers ago and wanted to buy more, alas someone threw the empty bottle away. I couldn't remember the name so I started googling and found this blog.
    I answered the door to an 8 and a half month pregnant girl who was about 90 lbs. soaking wet. She was maybe 18 yrs old. She also drank the cleaner (oh honey, no no) and put on the cleaning show and I purchased. She told me she was homeless and the "white van" people were helping her get on her feet.
    We were grilling burgers that day and she mentioned she hadn't eaten in awhile. So I invited her to the table for a meal. She asked if she could get her coworker to join. Why not? We had plenty of food that day. Who comes to join but another 18 yr old pregnant girl. Is this legal? (I'm thinking) They said most of the time they get treated well :/ They proceded to wolf down 2 burgers each and about a pound of potatoes so of course I bought another bottle from the other girl.
    So if you forget the name of this product, googling pregnant homeless girl cleaner door to door actually works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes wow I'm not sure it would be a good idea to drink the cleaner especially if pregnant! So kind of you to feed those two girls, and buy from them too.

      Delete
  8. I just got suckered and bought a bottle myself!! I have a cleaning business and so was super excited as my salesman put on a show illustrating how well it works! It really does work and I will definitely be buying more from my salesman :)) he did a great job and performance

    ReplyDelete
  9. ANY ONE,"DOES THE PRODUCT WORK?"
    THE SALESMAN USED IT TO REMOVE OLD EGG FROM MY CAR. SOME OF THE PAINT WENT WTH IT,BUT I BELIEVE IT HAD BONDED TO THE EGG. NOTHING TO DATE HAD REMOVED THE DRIED ON 2 YEAR OLD EGG FROM THE WHITE CAR. I DIDN'T BUY, AND HE (SALES EXPERRT PEDDLAR) WAS PIZZED ABOUT THAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi runshelley! The product has worked on a lot of tough stains for me and I think it's pretty good. :)

      Delete
  10. I thought I was suckered, but liked the guy and bought a bunch. That was a year ago and it sat unopened in my laundry room until yesterday. I ran across it and tried it.
    I love this stuff. I am on a cleaning frenzy. I wish customer service would answer the phone so I could find the kid I bought it from and get it to my friends.
    Yeah, the sales pitch is pretty agressive, but I am totally impressed...a year later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I see you have joined the ranks of the Advanage "converts"! For all the sales pitching and smooth talk, this stuff actually works, as you are discovering haha. Thanks for taking the short break from cleaning to leave this comment!

      Delete
  11. Gosh, that dollar store cleaner sounds really powerful! Is it edible? I remember my Advanage salesperson said his product was perfectly safe, and squirted some into his mouth.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment!