Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

How to get a drivers license in PA: Learner's Permit & Knowledge Test

My trusty Volvo, back in the day
I've been driving in Malaysia since I was 18 (nearly 20 years ago... gosh was it that long ago?). I also drove around in the US - Virginia driver's license and international drivers' license, while I was studying at Virginia Tech. Having driven on the left side of the road most of my life, switching to the right side definitely takes getting used to. Although I could drive on my Malaysian driver's license for up to 6 months from date of arrival in the US, I started the process of getting my PA driver's license once I arrived (permanently, i.e., with a Green Card).


To get a license to drive in PA, I had to first apply for a learner's permit. It wasn't too complicated:

  1. Print out the DL-180 and see a doctor/chiropractor/nurse to sign off that I'm physically fit to drive.
  2. Study the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual before taking the knowledge test. There's a lot of good stuff in there and I got a lot out of it. I thought it was very well put together. There are six chapters that cover everything you need to know about driving in PA, and about 200 multiple choice test questions with answers. If you just worked through the questions you'll ace the test. 
  3. Gather the paperwork that I'll need to submit with my completed DL-180 - Permanent Resident Card, Social Security Card (I had that from when I studied at Virginia Tech), and two proofs of PA residency. To prove I stay in PA, I used a credit card statement that stated my address. My second proof was taking along my DH (who would vouch I stay with him). My DH had to show that he stays in PA too, by showing his driver's license. If you have tax records, lease agreements, utility bills, W-2 form, etc, these could be used too. I didn't.
  4. Find a DMV center near you that does learner's permits, administers knowledge tests and driving exams. This was a wee bit confusing because the centers have unexpected off-days (Monday) and not all centers do learner's permits. Go to the center.
  5. Submit documents, take the knowledge test. I took mine on a touch-screen computer. There were only 18 questions out which I had to get at least 15 right (80% passing rate). I missed one, and accidentally skipped another, but I passed! It took 5 minutes.
  6. Having passed the test, they collected my check of $36.50 and clipped that to my other submitted documents. Then I was sent to another counter to submit the check and documents. 
  7. After a 5 minute wait, I received my learner's permit (and my other documents were returned to me).
  8. Next step is to schedule online my driver's examination...
Stay tuned!

xo Gracie

P.S. It would be AWESOME if you could click on any ad here - my advertisers give me a few cents per click. Thanks for supporting my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace,

    I stumbled upon your blog while doing some research on driving in the states.
    I'm currently in NY and has not obtain the IDP prior to coming. Can I rent a car to drive using Malaysia driving license?

    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey welcome to the US! You can certainly try using your Malaysian drivers license to rent a car here because it is in English, but not all car rental agencies will accept it if I'm not mistaken. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment!